It is unarguably true that search engine optimization, SEO is a complex process, in many cases, overcomplicated, but it can be simplified by breaking down into four key elements.
Do you know how many factors are involved in generating the first page ranking? Ten? Twenty? Thirty? Fifty? Hundred? Two hundred? A quick search for the term “SEO ranking factors” will provide you all of these answers. Though there is a lot of information available on the internet, but the fact is that there are likely hundreds of thousands of variables working together to determine the first page ranking. Also, not all search engine ranking factors are relevant to every business. Since there is a plethora of information available on the internet, there is a possibility that you may spend all your time on a research hamster wheel and hardly achieve anything fruitful. That’s why in this article, we’ve simplified the things and outline the four key areas that you should consider for an effective SEO strategy. Believe us; SEO is actually pretty simple at a strategic level.
The four pillars of SEO
#1 Technical SEO
Technical SEO may seem intimidating, but in reality, it isn’t. It is all about ensuring that a search engine can easily crawl your website, read your content and explore the site. Much of this will be taken care of by SEO tools like Screaming Frog, Deep Crawl, and the content management system you use. By using these SEO tools, you can easily find out the technical issues of your site.
The key areas to consider here are:
- Speed: Fast page load time is a vital factor that you should consider in order to keep your visitors happy
- Crawl: Can a search engine explore your website?
- Mobile: Does your site mobile friendly?
- Hierarchy: How is content structured on your site?
We all know that content is king. That’s the saying, right? Your site content should tell visitors and prospects what you do, where you do it, who you have done it for, and why someone should be interested in your business. You can also go beyond these brochure-type elements and customize content on your site to help your prospective customers achieve their end goals.
For service business enterprises, we can organize the content mainly into three categories:
- Marketing content: Content that puts your business in front of visitors and prospects earlier in the buying cycle.
- Service content: What you do and where you do it.
- Credibility content: Why a prospect should engage with your business.
The thing that you need to keep in mind is that SEO is important for all sorts of content, but it is often considered for service-type content. It is generally seen that SEO is often overlooked when it comes to credibility content like case studies, testimonials, and reviews.
#3 On-site SEO optimization
Your site should be well optimized as a whole and also at an individual page level. We’ve listed down some important aspects that need to be considered from the technical SEO point of view. Assuming you have a well-structured website, you need to apply practical optimization strategies. The key areas to focus on here are:
- Meta descriptions: Write unique and engaging meta descriptions like they were ad copy to drive CTRs.
- Keyword research: Understand the language of your target audience.
- Descriptive URLs: Ensure each URL is simple, coherent and descriptive.
- Page titles: Use keywords organically within the page title.
- Content optimization: Use your targeted keywords and variations in your page copy.
- Good user experience (UX): Always make sure that your site is a joy to use and navigate.
- Strong calls to action (CTA): Make it easy and clearly visible for your users to know what to do next.
- Structured data markup: Leverage the latest SERP features to improve click-through rates (CTRs).
#4 Off-site authority building
Eventually, all SEO professionals vouch for authority building. Building a good authority of your site, involves link building. Links are still considered a significant component to developing strong organic search rankings, however developing good authority links is the hardest part of SEO to get right. The best possible way to develop a good authority of a site is gaining links from guest blog posting. You can find the best sites on the internet from where you can get links to build the authority of your site.
SEO does not need to be overcomplicated. There are four important areas of SEO that you should consider while optimizing your site. You can also approach an SEO consulting agency for improving your organic search rankings and generate more business from search engine.